Each Job holds a State, such as "In Progress", "Planned", or "On Hold".
FYI includes a function so that an FYI Admin can map Job States to how the States display and are used in FYI. This allows you to select the colour coding of how they show in FYI.
For practices integrated with Xero Practice Manager, this also allows you to nominate which of the Xero Practice Manager States you use in your practice to indicate an "inactive" job.
For information on syncing Job States, renaming and deleting a Job State in Xero Practice Manager, refer to Job States.
This article contains the following sections:
- Displaying and Managing Job States in FYI
- Showing Archived Job States
- Updating Job States
- Making Changes to the Job States
- Changing the Sequence in which Job States show in FYI
- Archiving a Job State in FYI
- Adding a New Job State in FYI - Beta
Displaying and Managing Job States in FYI
To display and manage the Job States in FYI.
- Log in to FYI as an FYI Admin.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Documents.
- Go to the Job States tab.
A list displays the Job States your practice has defined.
The Practice settings - Documents - Jobs States list displays as follows.
Showing Archived Job States
To show the Archived Job States in the list, click Unhide the archived states.
To hide the "Archived" Job States in this list, click the Hide the archived states button at the top.
Updating Job States
Type - For each State, the Type determines what should be defined as an 'open' job or an 'inactive' job in FYI. This is used when displaying jobs in lists to hide inactive jobs.
- Any of the States used by your practice that are considered to be 'open' should be mapped to the FYI Type of "Standard".
This would be, for example, for states such as In Progress, Planned, and Running.
- Any of the States used by your practice that are considered to be 'inactive' should be mapped to the FYI Type of "Completed", "Cancelled" or "On Hold". This would be, for example, for states such as Lost, and Cancelled.
'Inactive' Jobs (that is, Jobs with a State that is mapped to the FYI Type of "Completed", Cancelled", "On Hold" or "Archived") are not shown in selections and are hidden in the Jobs workspace by default.
- In the Jobs list, you can show inactive jobs by clicking Unhide the inactive jobs. This shows jobs that have a Status set in FYI with the Type set as "Completed", "Cancelled", "On Hold" or "Archived"
To hide inactive jobs, click Hide the inactive jobs.
- If a Job state is removed in Xero Practice Manager, you can set the FYI Type to "Archived" so it is not included in any filters.
Hide from Board - For any Jobs States that you do not want to see in the Jobs Board, set this to "Yes". Refer to Using the Jobs Board.
Colour - You can set the colour in which the State displays in Job lists. You can use a system such as "Green", "Amber" or "Red", or use any of the other colours such as "Blue", "Grey", "Silver", "Teal", and "Black".
Note: FYI can only sync job data, including Job States, for "current" jobs, that is for jobs in Xero Practice Manager where the State Type is "Standard". Therefore, when jobs are initially synced to FYI, a State will only be imported if it is allocated to any current jobs. If there are no current jobs for a particular State, that State will not be initially imported to FYI.
Making Changes to the Job States
Changes to the Job States are made using the drawer. Click on a Job State in the list. You can then change the settings, including the colour of how they show in FYI.
Changing the Sequence in which Job States show in FYI
The sequence in which the Job States show in Settings determines the sequence in which they display in the State drop-down (when changing the State) and also the order in which they display from left to right in the Jobs Board (refer to Using the Jobs Board).
To change the sequence in which the Job States display, click the up arrow or down arrow at the top of the drawer.
The Order column displays the numerical sequence in which the Job States display.
Archiving a Job State in FYI
To archive a Job State in FYI, select the Type "Archived" in the drawer.
If any jobs still have that State selected, the jobs will still appear in the Jobs list. But the archived Job State is hidden from filters so users will not be able to select it when filtering the Jobs list with the State column.
Note: If you set a Job to an "Archived" State, you can currently only change the State using Jobs Bulk Update (refer to Jobs Bulk Update) and you cannot change the State from the Job drawer or the Job - Summary tab. Alternatively, you can change the Type of the State to something other than "Archived" which will then allow you to change the State of the Job in the drawer or Job - Summary.
Adding a New Job State in FYI - Beta
Adding Job States in FYI is a Beta release. This would be used if you connect to a practice management system other than Xero Practice Manager or Xero Tax.
If you are part of the Beta release for this, you can add Job States in FYI. These are only available in FYI and are not synced to your practice management software.
- In the Jobs States list, click Add.
- In the same way as when updating a Jobs State (see above), enter the Name, select the Type and Colour, and, if relevant, select Hide from Board.
- Click Create.
If required, you can then change the sequence in which the new Job State displays.