Filing Defaults are used to set the Cabinet and Categories that are applied when documents and emails are filed in FYI. Your filing defaults are also used as the defaults for filing when users create emails, documents, and tasks in FYI.
Some important considerations:
- Filing defaults can be set for Clients, Users or for the Practice.
- The Cabinet and Category can also be set when an email or document is created from an Automation Process.
- When creating an email or document in FYI, if Filing Defaults are set in the AutoFile Defaults section of the selected Template these will override all other defaults.
Understanding Filing Defaults
When determining which defaults to apply, FYI checks the Cabinet and Category to use as the filing details in the following order. The filing default order is applicable when filing emails and documents as well as email autofiling.
1. Automation step
If an email or document is being created from an Automation process, a check is made to see if the Cabinet and Category to apply is set up in the Automation Step.
When creating an email or document in FYI, if Filing Defaults are set in the AutoFile Defaults section of the selected Template these will override the Client, User and Practice defaults.
Refer to Creating Email Templates and Signatures.
You can set or change filing defaults for a Client to define which Cabinet, Categories, and Job (if relevant) are used when filing emails, documents and tasks.
Client Defaults can be set in bulk or from the Settings tab in your Client’s workspace. Depending on the Cabinet selected, you can select Categories, such as Year.
Default Cabinet, Categories and Job can also be set from Outlook.
Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client.
Users can set their own Filing Defaults, or these can be set in bulk by the FYI Administrator. Each user can specify their autofile settings, along with the default Cabinet and Categories to use if they have not been set for the relevant client.
Refer to Managing Users.
The Practice Filing Defaults can be set according to your Practice's requirements, in the case there are no defaults set for either the relevant Client or User. This is set in the Defaults tab in the Email AutoFile Settings.
Setting Filing Defaults
When deciding how to set up Filing Defaults for your practice, first consider what would be the most useful so you can determine whether to apply these at the Client, User or Practice level.
Filing Defaults should be applied as broadly as possible across the practice. The best practice is to set a Cabinet and the Year by default.
For a new site, the defaults that are set for all users are as follows. These are used if users have not set their individual filing defaults.
- Cabinet is set as "Correspondence"
- Category is set as "Year" with the value "2021"
Confirm or update your default filing defaults to suit your practice:
- Check filing defaults for any Automations you have setup for go-live, if applicable.
- Check filing defaults for your Templates.
- Define and set up your filing defaults for Clients, Users and Practice settings.