Practice Activity is a summary of any updates to and from Xero Practice Manager and other app integrations. Practice Activity displays FYI defined important events including errors, warnings, service interruptions and delays. These are typically batches, errors occurring multiple times, errors relating to asynchronous events where there is no other way of checking what the activity did.
A Practice Activity View can be used as a Filter in a Custom Process. This allows a Summary Notification step to be added to the Process as notification to a specific user about certain events, for example, if an even has a Status of "Failure" or "Action Required". Refer to Custom Processes using Views and Summary Notifications.
Note: The Practice Activity gives information on batch or background activities. It does not show actions that are recorded for individual documents and that show in the Activity section of the document.
This article contains the following sections:
- Displaying the Practice Activity
- Sorting, Filtering and Saving a View
- Displaying the Drawer for a Practice Activity
- Displaying the Tool Tip for Details
- Resubmitting a "Failure" Status Event
Displaying the Practice Activity
Practice Activity is accessed from the Practice menu option. It is available only to FYI Admins, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Practice Activity.
The Practice Activity list is used in the same way as the Documents lists, without the search function. For example, you can sort and filter on the columns in the same way as the Documents lists. Refer the section Using the Documents Lists with New Lists.
If you have New Lists enabled, the Practice Activity list displays as follows.
Events displays with the Status of "Success", "Failure", "Action Required" or "Alert".
- Events that were successful display with the Status "Success".
- When updates have been made as a batch, any events with a Status of "Failure" or "Action Required" display separate to the "Success" events so the failed events can be identified and investigated.
- "Failure" is an event, such as the sync of a record to Xero Practice Manager, that failed.
- "Action Required" is an event that requires attention as it will cause more errors, for example, if there is an authentication error with an integration app such as BGL..
- "Alert" events display where important changes have been made within FY, such as changes to the Practice AutoFile Defaults or to the Email AutoFile Settings.
Sorting, Filtering and Saving a View
The columns can be sorted and filters can be applied.
Views can be saved. This is useful, for example, if a user needs to know if a specific App was not successful, a view can be saved with a filter set for that App and a filter for Status set as other than "Success" so that the information can be quickly accessed.
A Practice Activity View can also be selected as a Filter in a Custom Process. Refer to Custom Processes using Views and Summary Notifications.
Displaying the Drawer for a Practice Activity
Clicking on an entry in the Practice Activity displays the drawer with a summary of what was processed. This is useful to see the details of any activities that have failed or that are still in progress.
Displaying the Tool Tip for Details
Hovering the mouse over the values for Details displays the full details in the tool tip.
Resubmitting a "Failure" Status Event
Where an event has a Status of "Failure", if there action that can be taken to correct the failure, in the drawer the event shows the Resubmit button.
For example, if a Job has been set to a Job State that exists in FYI but has not yet been synced to Xero Practice Manager, this will show as a "Failure" in the Practice Activity.
Selecting the event in Practice Activity displays the drawer with the message
"Need to add the relevant state to xpm and resubmit the job".
For a failed event that cannot be resubmitted, the Resubmit button is not available. For example, if a Job has been set as completed in Xero Practice Manager before a Time Entry has synced for it, this will show in Practice Activity as a "Failure" but cannot not be resubmitted.
"Action Required" Event
You can click on an "Action Required" Event to display the drawer and click the Go to App button to open that App in the Automations - Apps, for example to check the connection.