The following is an example of a Custom Process to send an email to all clients using a saved view to include primary clients only.
Click here to download the guide (or download the file from the bottom of this article).
This article contains the following sections:
- Create the Email Template
- Create a Clients List View or Determine the View to use
- Add the Custom Process
- Add the Step to Create the Email
- Testing a Manual Custom Process
- Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
- Running the Process
- Download Files
Create the Email Template
This example is sending an email. The email that is created by the process needs a Template to be first set up.
- Create an Email Template with the text that will be in the email that is sent.
In this example, the Email Template is We are moving!.
Refer to the section Templates and Signatures for Email.
Create a Clients List View or Determine the View to use
If you are sending your email to all clients, you can use the system view "All" clients which includes all Active clients. Review the view used to check this will include the clients you want to send the email to.
To run the Process for Primary Clients, this example needs a view to be created that will be used to trigger the Custom Process.
In the Clients list:
- Include the Status, Primary Client and Opt In columns in the view.
- Filter the Status column to include active clients only.
- Filter the Primary Client column on "Yes" to include the clients that are specifically marked as the Primary Client. This will also automatically include clients who are not part of a Client Group. Refer to Primary Client.
- Filter the Opt In column to exclude "No". This will exclude clients who have previously unsubscribed to email communications.
- Save the view, for this example as "Email Blast for Primary Clients". You would usually save this as "Automations only" so it is not included in the available views for standard users.
Add the Custom Process
- In Automation - Processes, click Add Custom Process.
- Add the Name of the Process, in this example this is "Client Email - Office Move".
- If required, add any additional description of the Process in the Description.
- The Custom Process has the Trigger set to "Manual".
- In this example, set the Filter to filter clients on the saved Client View "Email Blast for Primary Clients".
Add the Step to Create the Email
- Click Add Step and select Create Email.
- Select the email Template, in this example "We are moving!".
- Update the Sender as required.
- Select whether to send the email immediately, or to create Draft emails.
- Review the Filing details and rename the subject of the email if required.
- Click Save.
Testing a Manual Custom Process
When setting up a Custom Process, it is very important to test it to ensure it is working as expected.
- Click Test.
- The Select Test pop-up displays a list of the Clients based on the Filter that has been set up in the Process.
- From the Select Test, search and select a specific client to run the test for.
- Click Run Test.
- Navigate to the documents list in the relevant client's workspace to review the test email.
Refer also to Testing Custom Processes.
Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
When you are ready, set the Status of the process to "Active".
Running the Process
To run your custom process, as this is sending to a segmented client list, it is run from Automations - Processes. It can be run by an FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Automations.
- Edit the Process from the Automations - Processes tab.
- Click Run.
- A list of Clients displays as per the Filter applied. This shows a count of the number of clients it will run for.
Note: Before proceeding, check this is what you are expecting. In the following example, the process will run for 567 clients.
- To run the process, click Run.
For details of the different ways to run a Custom Process, refer to Running Custom Processes.