The following is an example of how to set up a Custom Process that uses a View and Summary Notifications. This uses a filter set as a Job - View Filter.
This example sends out a summary notification to each of the relevant users when there are any Jobs that are Overdue, that is, where the Job Due Date is in the past, relative to today's date.
This article contains the following sections:
- Create the View that will Trigger the Process
- Add the Custom Process
- Add the Step for the Summary Notification
- Testing and Running the Process
- Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
- When the Summary Notification is triggered
Create the View that will Trigger the Process
Set up a view for the Jobs list that will be used to trigger the Custom Process. Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in a List, Sorting and Filtering and Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
For this example:
- Display the Jobs list.
- Filter the Status column on as relevant for your practice such as "In Progress", "Pending Client Info", "At Review", etc.
- Set the Due Date column as "Past" relative to today's date.
- Save the View, for example, as "Overdue Job Reminder".
Add the Custom Process
The following is the Custom Process.
- The Name has been set as "Overdue Jobs Reminder". This name is included in the Notification in FYI and, depending on the user's settings, in the email notification that is sent.
- The Trigger in the Process is set as "Schedule".
- The Schedule has been set, for example, as "1 week" to run the process every week and the Start Date has been set.
- The Filter Type is set as "Job - View Filter".
- The View is selected as the system view "Overdue Job Reminder".
- When sending notifications of the Jobs that are overdue, you would usually set this so Managers are sent further emails or notifications if the Job is still overdue. This means the Managers only have to refer to the last notification to see what they currently need to action. So for this process, you would remove the checkmark for Run Only Once Per Job. If you wanted to only send one notification, checkmark Run Only Once Per Job.
Add the Step for the Summary Notification
The following shows the Step for the Summary Notification.
For Notify User, this has been set to select the relative Manager.
If required, add a Custom Message that displays below the link in the notification and in the notification email.
Testing and Running the Process
When setting up a Custom Process, it is very important to test it to ensure it is working as expected. Refer to Testing Custom Processes.
Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
When you are ready, set the Status of the process to "Active".
When the Summary Notification is triggered
When the Summary Notification is triggered, the Manager receives a notification. Depending on the user's settings, this will also get sent as an email.
The email shows the number of Jobs that are overdue for the Manager to action.
The email includes a link that the Manager can click to go directly to the Jobs list automatically filtered to show only the Jobs that are overdue and where that user is selected as the Manager.
The link in the notification displays the Jobs list automatically set to the "Overdue Job Reminder" view filtered on the Manager name.
For examples of the notification and the email, and how the link is used, refer to Summary Notification in Reviewing and Approving Emails and Documents.