In the Clients list, you can use the Bulk Update to update selected or all clients.
You can first filter the Clients list and then use the Bulk Update to apply to the clients that are currently displayed. This can also be used if you want to change settings for all clients in a specific Client Group. You can also filter clients with one or more Custom Fields by adding the Custom Field(s) as additional columns.
If you do not have the permission to update any fields, the relevant fields are greyed out.
The Clients Bulk Update is run by a Process Client Bulk Update. You can see when the update has completed in the Client - Activity tab for the relevant Clients. An FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Automations or Practice Activity can see when the update has completed in the Automation - History and Practice - Activity tabs.
If any of the settings are not changed, this will keep the original setting in each of the selected clients. A message displays in the drawer as a reminder of this.
This article contains the following sections:
- Clients Bulk Update for all Users
- Clients Bulk Update for FYI Admin and Users with Edit Clients Permissions
- Using the Clients Bulk Update
- Bulk Update "Unmatched" Clients as Archived
Clients Bulk Update for all Users
All users can update the following:
- Change the defaults for the Cabinet and Categories.
- Set whether Send Attachments is set to "Email", "OneDrive" or "Postal Service".
- Set the Include in AutoFile to set if the selected clients are "Include" or "Exclude".
Clients Bulk Update for FYI Admin and Users with Edit Clients Permissions
The following options are only available to an FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Edit Clients (refer to Managing User Groups).
- Update the Manager and/or Partner.
- Set one or more Client Custom Fields.
To update the Custom Fields, the user must be in a User Group with Permissions enabled for Custom Fields.
Using the Clients Bulk Update
- If required, first filter the Clients list to display the clients you want to apply the Bulk Update to.
- Select one or more client in the Clients list.
- Click the Bulk Update button in the tool bar.
Bulk Update displays in the drawer.
- Apply to can be selected as the clients that have been selected in the Clients list or as the filtered clients (if no filter has been applied, this will apply to all your clients).
- Select the setting you want to change for the selected clients.
When you select a Cabinet, the relevant Categories display.
To change the Include in AutoFile setting of the selected clients, set this as "Include" or "Exclude" as relevant.
- Custom Fields
If you select a Custom Field, when this has been selected from Set Custom Field, a field is added above this and shows as the field name. You are prompted to enter the value to set it to. Once a Custom Field has been selected, it will be removed from the drop-down list as it is already part of the update. You can add additional Custom Fields to be updated by the Bulk Update. Select the additional Custom Field(s) and add the value to set for each.
When updating a Client Custom Field that is a Date, this can be set either as the "Current Date" or as a fixed date.
"Current Date" sets the Custom Field as 'today's' date. This could be used, for example, to update the date that a partner made contact with a client.
"Select a Date" allows you select a specific date. This could be used to update a Custom Field date such as the date of the Instrument or as a date of birth.
- Click Run.
- A message displays that the Bulk Update has been scheduled to run.
From the message you can click the link to the Practice Activity or to the Automation History to check the progress.
The Clients Bulk Update is run by a Process Client Bulk Update (this Process is not shown in the Automation - Processes dashboard or List view).
Updates display in the Client - Activity tab for the relevant clients, and in the Automation - History and Practice - Activity tabs. From the drawer of an item in Practice - Activity you can click Go to Automation History.
Note: In the Client - Activity tab of a Client that has been updated with Bulk Update, this displays that the changes were made by "System". You can see the name of the user who ran the Bulk Update in Practice - Activity.
Bulk Update "Unmatched" Clients as Archived
During migration, this may import some clients as "Unmatched" clients. You can use the Clients Bulk Update to archive these.
- On the Clients list, use the Status column to filter only "Unmatched".
- Select one or more of the unmatched clients in the list.
- Click Bulk Update.
When all the selected clients have a Status of "Unmatched", the Bulk Update includes the Archive option to set the clients as "Archived".
Only unmatched clients can be archived.
Refer also to Unmatched Client Import.