For information on using Workflow Jobs, refer to Workflow Jobs.
This article contains the following sections:
- Step 1 - Before Enabling Workflow Jobs, set any historical Jobs as "Complete"
- Step 2 - Enable Workflow Jobs
- Step 3 - Initial Sync of Workflow Jobs
- Step 4 - Set up the Workflow Jobs: Assigned User Roles Mapping
- Step 5 - Select the Assigned Users in the Workflow Jobs
- Step 6 - Setting up Views to Show the Job Type
- Disabling Workflow Jobs
The Workflow Jobs function is only available for practices on the Pro plan.
Step 1 - Before Enabling Workflow Jobs, set any historical Jobs as "Complete"
Before enabling Workflow Jobs in FYI, review your Jobs list and ensure that any jobs (current or historical) that are no longer active are set as "Complete" in Xero Practice Manager. This will prevent unnecessary Workflow Jobs from being created at the initial sync.
Important Note: Incomplete XPM Tasks attached to inactive Xero Practice Manager Jobs will not sync to FYI.
To set historical Jobs as "Complete":
- In FYI, go to a Jobs list.
- Check any historical jobs that should be set as inactive.
- Bulk update them and set the Job State as "Complete".
- Ensure the Jobs have synced to Xero Practice Manager.
Refer to Synchronising Clients, Staff, Jobs, Time, Tax Returns with Xero Practice Manager and Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
Step 2 - Enable Workflow Jobs
Workflow Jobs are enabled by checkmarking Workflow Jobs in your Practice Settings. Refer to Managing Practice Settings.
- Login to FYI as an FYI Admin.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings, then select Admin.
- Display the Settings tab.
- Click Workflow Jobs to enable this.
- A confirmation message displays. Check that you have not clicked Workflow Jobs accidentally and check you have done any necessary reviews and clean up of any complete Jobs.
- Click Yes to continue.
Step 3 - Initial Sync of Workflow Jobs
Once Workflow Jobs is enabled in your Practice Settings, a sync needs to run. You can either run a manual sync to bring in the Workflow Jobs, or allow the overnight sync to run. Refer to Synchronising Clients, Staff, Jobs, Time, Tax Returns with Xero Practice Manager and Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
After the initial sync, all existing "Incomplete" XPM Tasks are synced to FYI and converted to Workflow Jobs.
Tasks for any inactive jobs in Xero Practice Manager are not synced to FYI in the initial sync.
After the initial sync, any new XPM Tasks created in Xero Practice Manager are synced as Workflow Jobs. This is synced either automatically overnight or with a Manual Job Sync.
Note: Custom Fields are not synced from the XPM Task custom fields. In FYI, you can add any values to the Custom Fields for the Workflow Jobs using the Custom Fields tab in the Job Workspace (refer to Job Custom Fields).
Step 4 - Set up the Workflow Jobs: Assigned User Roles Mapping
For Workflow Jobs, the Assigned Users are added with Custom User Roles.
Note: This is not applicable to Billing Jobs.
- The Custom User Roles that you want to use for the Assigned Users in Workflow Jobs first need to be set up in your Practice Settings in the Mappings tab. An FYI Admin can select one or more Custom Fields that are used to record the Assigned User(s) for the Workflow Jobs. Refer to Managing Mappings.
The Custom Field in FYI must be defined with the Type set as "User" and set up as Applies to Job (or both Client and Job). Refer to Custom User Roles.
Once the is has been set, any Workflow Jobs that have a user added to the relevant Custom Field is updated to the "Assigned" user for the Workflow Job.
Note: It is important to set up the Custom Fields that will be used for the Assigned Users in the Mappings tab before selecting the user in the Custom Fields tab of the Workflow Jobs.
If the Custom Fields are not already mapped, and the User is selected for the relevant Custom Field in the Workflow Job, it will not show in the Job - Summary, Assigned shows as "Unknown" and the Workflow Job will not show in the relevant User's Home - My Jobs tab. When this is the case, you need to use Jobs Bulk Update, select the Custom Field that has now been mapped and select the Name of the User you want to apply.
Step 5 - Select the Assigned Users in the Workflow Jobs
Once the relevant Custom User Roles have been set up in the Practice Settings - Mappings tab, an FYI Admin or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Edit Custom Fields, you can select the relevant user in the Custom Fields that have been mapped for the Assigned users for Workflow Jobs. Refer to Job Custom Fields and to Assigned Users in Workflow Jobs.
The names of the Assigned User(s) then display on the Job - Summary tab in the Assigned field. If the Assigned User has been selected and is not showing, refresh the Job - Summary (press Ctrl+F5 or refresh the browser).
These also display in the Job drawer in the Assigned Users section and as the users' initials on the Jobs Board.
Note: Assigned users for Workflow Jobs do not sync to Xero Practice Manager and they are used only for display in FYI and to determine the Workflow Jobs that are included in the relevant user's Home - My Jobs.
Step 6 - Setting up Views to Show the Job Type
When Workflow Jobs is enabled, Jobs display with the Job Type in the Jobs lists and Job - Summary tab. This shows as "Billing" or "Workflow" as relevant. Refer to Displaying the Job Type in the Jobs List and Job Workspace in Workflow Jobs.
You can include the Job Type in views. It is recommended to update any saved views so they include the Job Type. By updating the saved views, this also makes them available in the Client - Jobs tab and in the Home - My Jobs to ensure that users also see the Job Type of "Billing" or "Workflow" in these tabs.
Disabling Workflow Jobs
Once Workflow Jobs has been enabled in your Practice Settings, if you need to disable Workflow Jobs this is done in your Practice Settings by uncheckmarking Workflow Jobs (refer to Managing Practice Settings).
If you disable Workflow Jobs:
- All Workflow Jobs are hidden in FYI.
- Workflow Jobs are no longer visible in Jobs lists or in the Job drawer of the Billing Job.
- The Job Type column is no longer available in views.
- The tabs in the Job workspace and the sections in the Job drawer display as for Standard jobs, so the XPM Tasks tab in the Job workspace and the XPM Tasks section in the drawer are re-displayed. All completed and uncompleted tasks are shown.