Running a Capacity Planning Report
Once you have set up the components and functions needed for Capacity Planning, the report is run as follows.
A Capacity Planning Report can only be run by an FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Create Report (refer to Managing User Groups).
The Capacity Planning Report is produced as an Excel Spreadsheet document that is available in the main Documents list.
Note: If you do not want the Capacity Planning Report that is produced to be available to all users, when running it you can select a Cabinet that is only available to users in a User Group that has security set (refer to Managing User Groups). This ensures that only users who have been given access to that Cabinet can open the report.
- From FYI, click the + button in the menu bar.
- Select Report from the list of document types.
Or, from the workspace, simply press the shortcut key R for a new Capacity Planning Report document.
The Run Report drawer displays on the right-hand side.
- Select the Report as "Capacity Planning"
- Select the Template as the Capacity Planning Report Template that has been provided by FYI and adjusted by your practice to include the details for your Employees hours and Leave dates.
If selected Template has defaults set for the Cabinet or Category, these are added as the defaults for the report.
Note: The Template will only be available if the Excel Report setting has been enabled in the Capacity Planning Report Template in the Knowledge workspace and the Status is set to Active.
- For Add Process, the drop-down list shows only those Processes that are "Active" and have the Filter set to "Job View".
Select the Process you want to run the Capacity Planning on.
Note: Completed Tasks will be excluded from the report.
- When the Process has been selected, the Process Name displays next to the drop-down.
The drop-down then displays the View that is selected as the Filter in that Process and is the default for the trigger view to run the Process for.
- If required, you can select a different View if required for the selected Process.
This is useful, for example, if the default View was set to run the Process for a certain division for the next quarter, you can run the Capacity Planning on a View for Jobs with Start Dates further in the future, or for Jobs that relate to a different division.
- If required, add one or more additional Processes from the Add Process drop-down and, if relevant, change the View each will run on.
Once a Custom Field has been selected, it will be removed from the drop-down list as it is already part of the update.
- Enter a Name for the Capacity Planning Report. This is the name that displays on the Documents list.
- For Cabinet, select a Cabinet that the report will be filed under.
If you do not want the Capacity Planning Report to be available to all users, select a Cabinet that is only available to users in a User Group that has security set (refer to Managing User Groups). This ensures that only users who have been given access to that Cabinet can open the report.
- Click Run.
Opening the Capacity Planning Report
The Capacity Planning Report is produced as an Excel spreadsheet document and can be opened from the main Documents list. The data is shown in worksheet tabs.
The Capacity Summary tab in the report shows the Available, Allocated and Capacity times for each of the assigned users. You can use this to determine where any changes may be needed.
The Allocated Detailed tab gives a count of the number of tasks, by client.
Data - Tasks
The Data - Tasks holds the detail.
You can use this to check, for example, if any critical data is missing. For example, if the Default Time is missing on a task, this needs to be added to the Process in FYI.
You can also check if the weekly hours have not been added for any of the assigned users and add these to the Employees worksheet. These should also be updated to the Template (refer to Employees Worksheet in Setup and Preparation for Capacity Planning - Beta).
In the Data - Tasks sheet:
- The Week column holds the week in the format “Wk nn (dd-Mmm)”, for example, Wk 26 (01-Jul) where:
Wk nn is the number of the number of the due date’s week in the year.
(dd-Mmm) is the commencement date of the week based on Monday as the start of the week.
- The Job Link column holds a link to the Job. You can click on this link to directly open the Job in FYI.
- The Month column is the 1st day of month of the due date of the respective task.
Note: This holds an entry for every week for every employee which is updated as relevant with availability and leave.
You can use the report to see where adjustments are needed. For example,
- You can bring work forward, or delay work, by changing the Start Date of certain Jobs.
- Reallocate resources by changing the user who is assigned to certain Jobs.
- Bring in additional resources and allocate these users to Jobs.
Refreshing the Report
When adjustments have been made, you can refresh the Capacity Planning Report to update the underlying data and see the effect of these changes, without re-running the report.
From the FYI drawer, click Refresh report data.
You can also click Refresh report data when the spreadsheet is opened in Excel in the drawer from the FYI Office Add-in.
Note: This is only available when opening the spreadsheet when using the desktop version of Excel.
You can also refresh the data by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F5 on your keyboard.