In the Clients list, there are various ways to search for Clients.
This article contains the following sections:
- Selecting a View
- Searching in Lists using Filters
- Search in Clients List using the Search Field
- Custom Fields in Clients List
Selecting a View
At the top of the Clients list is a drop-down which shows the Views that can be selected for that list.
Where there are more than 10 Views for the list, the View selector displays with a scroll bar.
You can use the Search at the top of the View selector to find a View. Enter one or more characters to find the View(s) that contain what you have entered anywhere in the View name. Click the X in the Search to clear the search text.
Depending on how this has been set for your own practice, the view you select in a particular list will be the default for the rest of the session and also when you logout and login again. This means that when a view has been selected, when you display another list and then return to that list, or logout and login again, the same view will be initially selected in the drop-down. Refer to Sticky Views.
You can also create custom Views. Refer to Saving Changes to a View in Using the Clients Lists and Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
Searching in Lists using Filters
- You can use the Filters to perform searches such as for the Client name. Refer to Using Search in the Filters in Sorting and Filtering Clients Lists.
- To search on a text column, such as Name, you can filter the column. This allows you to search on an "Exact" match or a match that "Contains" your search text. Refer to Filtering on Text in Sorting and Filtering Clients Lists.
- Custom Fields can be useful as an additional way to filter the information. Refer below to Custom Fields in Clients List.
Search in Clients List using the Search Field
You can use the Search field at the top of the Clients lists to search for Clients.
- Type the search criteria in the Search field.
- Press the Enter key.
In the Clients list, the search will find text in the Client Name and will also find the text if it is all or part of the Email address. It also searches in these columns if they are not currently displayed.
- Adding search criteria in the Search field, also automatically adds this as a Filter with "Contains" for the Name column.
- Adding a filter for the Name column also automatically adds this as the search criteria in the Search field. When applying a Filter to the Name column in the Clients lists, the Filter is always added with the qualifier of "Contains".
In the following example, the search has found the text in the client's Email addresses.
- The search text is not case-sensitive.
- If you type part of a word, this can be anywhere in the text. For example, searching for the text "all" will find clients with "Allport" in the name and clients with "Marshall" in the name.
- You can search for multiple words. For example, you can search for "family trust".
- You can search for parts of multiple words, for example, if you search for "fam tru" this will find occurrences of "family trust".
- Search will find instances that are plurals. For example, searching for "associate" will also find "associates"
- Search will not find singulars. For example, searching for "investments" will not find "investment".
Export Code and Client Code
For practices integrated with Xero Practice Manager, you can also use the Export Code and Client Code from Xero Practice Manager when searching for a client. Simply enter all or part of the code in the same way as you would enter all or part of the client Name to find a client. In the Client - Summary tab, the Client Details section holds the Export Code and Client Code from Xero Practice Manager for each individual client. Refer to Client Summary.
Note: Client Code is not available for UK sites.
Clearing the Search Text
To clear the search, click the X next to the search criteria, or delete the search criteria and press the Enter key.
Custom Fields in Clients List
If you have set up Custom Fields in your practice management software, or UDFs in GreatSoft, or added Custom Fields directly in FYI (for example, to distinguish the client type, to record additional address or contact information, or for other indicators) you can include these as columns in the Clients list. You can then sort or filter on the Custom Field column.
Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in the Clients Lists, Sorting and Filtering Clients Lists and Client Custom Fields.